Service & Volunteer Hour Tracking
Complete the form below to log your service & volunteer hours. Our office defines community service as "action taken to meet the needs of others and to better the community as a whole" (Campus Compact, 1998). These hours can include forms of community service & volunteerism that occur both on and off campus.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Service must be tracked within month of completion to be accepted.
The following activities CAN be logged for service hours:
• Service-learning activities that take place outside of the classroom
• Providing pro bono professional and/or medical services
• Volunteering at a hospital, animal shelter, childcare facility, or other educational and non-profit agencies
• Bipartisan political activities (i.e. working a voter registration drive)
• Service opportunities within our office:
- Alternative Break trips
- Service done at an Ignite session
- Sign up to Serve calendar
PLEASE NOTE: Only hours spent directly doing service should be tracked. For example, if you went on a service trip, only the hours spent directly engaged in service (not sleep, eating, socializing, etc) should be tracked. If you are fostering an animal, only the hours spent directly caring for the animal should be tracked.
The following activities CANNOT be logged for service hours:
• Any activity for which you received payment, scholarship, or other compensation.
• Service completed for the benefit of a student organization or UT Athletics (ex: recruitment events, information tables, being a student organization officer, UT Sports Nutrition/Fuel Station, Sports Ambassadors, etc.).
• Fundraising or awareness campaigns, including meetings related to planning or organizing fundraisers.
• Philanthropy (i.e., Greek philanthropic events such as percentage nights or other fundraising events).
• Projects completed with any for-profit organization/business, even if the work was unpaid. (see the Fair Labor Standards Act for laws regarding employee vs volunteer)
• Projects in which the student's family members or friends are the primary recipients of the service (ex: babysitting, moving, housework, etc.)
• Singing, playing an instrument, or other performance-based service.
• Playing sports or exercising (including fundraising walks and runs) to raise money for a cause. However, a student can earn volunteer hours with a run or walk as support staff (ex: checking participants in, guiding participants on the trail, passing out water, etc.) and by supporting adaptive sporting events.
• Time spent shopping for an activity (ex. shopping for angel trees, food boxes, Operation Christmas Child, etc.).
• Donating items (ex. clothing to Goodwill, angel trees, etc.).
• Donating blood (on your own or through a campus blood drive).
• Nursing clinical hours and student teaching hours (required to complete the degree).
Some key tips in logging service & volunteer hours:
1. Complete the tracking form for each day you serve.
2. Volunteer hours logged more than one month past the date of service will not be collected and the only method of collection supported by the Center for Leadership & Service is via this online database.
3. Make any edits to your hours served by logging in and using your dashboard.
4. Please also contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you logged any hours prior to August 1, 2015 that are not present on your dashboard. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but can manually verify and enter those hours on your behalf if they were entered into our previous system.
5. To request confirmation of your service hours (for a certificate or medallion) login using your netid and password and use the "request confirmation" button on your dashboard. All requests for service hour confirmations will be addressed within ten business days.
Our Way of Saying Thank You: Students with 100 confirmed, logged hours prior to graduation will receive a Service Medallion to wear during their commencement exercises, to commemorate their selfless service to our community. To request your Service Medallion distinction once your hours have totaled 100 or more please login using your netid and password and use the "request confirmation" button on your dashboard. All requests for service hour confirmations will be addressed within ten business days. Please note, requests for medallions must be received no later than three weeks prior to your commencement date, however we encourage students to submit these requests as soon as your hours are reached.
Center for Leadership and Service | https://trackyourhours.utk.edu/ | Version: 1.2